Who We Are
Far East Gem Lab was established in 1988. The company’s range of services includes gem identification (gem testing), diamond grading and jewellery appraisal (jewelry appraisal). Besides the basic gemological services, the company also specialised in identification of B-jade (treated jadeite-jade – bleached and polymer impregnated), fracture-filled diamond, and some of the modern day treatment on gemstones. To keep up with the changes, since 1985 the company has been doing advanced joint gem research with the Physics department, National University of Singapore (NUS) and Chemical Process and Biotechnology department, Singapore Polytechnic (SP).
Using cutting edge technology like the Proton Induced X-ray Emission (PIXE) (at NUS), to separate natural from synthetic ruby or even Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) (at SP) to identify treated B-jade from natural untreated jadeite-jade.
In the light of the advancement, the company set a high standard in the area of research and development on gemstone in the Southeast Asian region. The quality report produced by the company gave confidence to the trade and as well as the public, thus generating a trust among them.
The first gem lab to be awarded in Singapore. As a sign of the company commitment to provide excellent services to its customers, the company implemented the ISO/IEC Guide 25 from 15 May 1998 to 14 November 2002. More recently 15 November 2002, the quality system of the company was upgraded to ISO/IEC 17025. The laboratory officers from the Singapore Accreditation Council audited the whole exercise. The company is determined to continuously update operational capability in terms of both technology and capacity.
In the jewellery appraisal services, the company provide professional and unbiased appraisal report for court cases. Earning a good reputation among some of the lawyers who use our services.
To help our clients to identify their gemstone or diamond whether it is natural from synthetic, or even treated gemstones so as to prevent them from wrong purchase.
- To double check on diamond with its quality grading report i.e. to make sure that the 4C’s of diamond tally with their international report.
To help evaluate family heirloom jewellery.
Why Choose Us
Our experience in evaluation of rough, faceted or carved gemstone have help save our corporate clients from wrong investment i.e. save them millions or even billions of bad investment.
Our gem lab is yearly audited by the Singapore Accreditation Council, SPRING Singapore, keeping our gem lab transparent.
Mr Tay Thye Sun has been practicing gemology after he graduated from the Gemological Institute of America since 1980. Before he went full time on gem testing lab work and instructor, he was an experienced gem dealer and doing wholesale and retail jewellery business.
In 1985, he came across some of the natural rubies with very little inclusions and very difficult to authenticate the nature of the rubies. This prompts him to find out more and in doing so had slowly drawn him into the world of gem research.
To date, he and together with his many co-authors published many articles (see Research) in the gemological journals around the world. He was invited to speak in APEC Melbourne 2000, APEC Beijing 2000, 60th Anniversary of the German Gemmological Association 1992 (click to view pictures), Germany; and the prestigious meeting by invitation only of the International Gemmological Conference held in Spain 2001, India 1999, Germany 1997, Thailand 1995, etc.
- Bachelor of Science – Geology (1976) University of London.
- Master of Science – Social and Psychological Aspects of Science and Technology in Industry (1977), Imperial College of Science and Technology, London.
- Diploma of Membership of Imperial College (1978), London.
- Graduate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America, (1980), Santa Monica, U.S.A.
In 2013, he received the Fellowship of Diploma from the British Gemmological Association of Great Britain. The Gemmological Association of Great Britain celebrated their 100th anniversary and also they have student graduation ceremony. He is the only Asian to receive this honourary award that year.
- President of Singapore Gemologist Society from 1993 to 2003, one of the founding member of the society since 1983.
- Appointed to the organisation of expert, United National since 1994.
- Technical Committee Member of the International Colored Gemstone Association (ICA) 1989 to 1993 – 37 nations.
- Member of the International Gemological Conference since 1993 and was elected to the Executive Board member since 2004 and was appointed as Secretary-general from 2004 to 2009.